Information & Maps
Murchison Falls National Park Information
Uganda's largest National Park acts as a conservation area to untamed wilderness and savannahs, split through the middle by the dramatic river Nile.
Murchinson Falls is the name that was given to the point at which the world’s longest river, the river Nile, is channeled through a narrow gorge within the Rift Valley, descending almost 50 metres below. Sir Roderick Murchison (1851–1853), was President of the Royal Geographical Society, which was the catalyst for many explorations within ‘colonial’ Africa, most notably the search for the source of the river Nile.
Wildlife populations have largely recovered from the poaching during the Idi Amin era of the 1980s. Together with the adjacent 748 square kilometres (289 sq mi) Bugungu Wildlife Reserve and the 720 square kilometres (280 sq mi) Karuma Wildlife Reserve, the entire area is known as the Murchison Falls conservation area.
The park is sometimes referred to as Kabarega National Park. Kabarega was the Omukama of the Kingdom of Bunyoro, around the end of the 19th century. He resisted colonization by the British, was arrested and was exiled by the British to the island nation of the Seychelles. Kabarega died in Jinja, in 1923 en-route to Bunyoro from exile.
Murchison is Uganda's only National Park which has all "big five". Buffalos, elephants, lions, leopards are best to be seen in the northern part (above the Nile). Rhinos were sadly extinguished but are now being bred again in the rhino sanctuary south of the park; 40 to 50 rhinos are planned to be released into the wild in approx. 30 years
In the southeast, Rabongo Forest is home to chimps and other rainforest creatures. The Nile itself hosts one of Africa's highest hippo and crocodile populations, and an immense variety of birds including the world's most accessible wild population of the rare shoebill stork.
Paraa Safari Lodge Information
Paraa Safari Lodge is located in North Western Uganda where it overlooks the Victoria Nile in Murchison Falls National Park. By air: Paraa Safari Lodge is a one hour flight from Entebbe International Airport to Pakuba or Bugungu airstrips within the national park, both 45 minutes drive from the Lodge.
- Roads in the park can be rough and wet. A four wheel drive vehicle is recommended. Please respect the 40km speed limit.
- Drive only on designated roads, moving off track will lead to a fine.
- Do not sound your horn in the park.
- Walk only on designated areas. Wild animals are potentially dangerous.
- Please do not Litter. Put all your waste in the designated containers.
A list of a few of the essential services that we provide to make your stay as comfortable as possible;
- Meal Times
- Breakfast 07:00 am - 9:30 am
- Lunch 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm
- Children's Dinner 5:00 pm - 7:00 p.m.
- Dinner 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- If you would like a lunch box please contact Reception before 7pm on the day before it is required.
- Power Supply
- Power (220-240 volts) is provided by generators during the following hours:
- 05.00 am to 10.00 am
- 12.00 pm to 03.00 pm
- 06.00 pm to 01.00 am
- Drinking Water
- Bottled mineral water may be purchased from the bar. Alternatively treated and boiled drinking water is available in flasks in the rooms.
- Laundry services are available. Please fill in the laundry list and leave your laundry on the bed for collection by your room steward in the morning. Laundry received by 11.00am is returned same day by 7.00pm.
- Forex Bureau
- A Forex service buys and sells major foreign currencies such as American dollars, UK pounds, Euros and Kenya shillings.
- Credit Cards
- Visa and Master cards accepted subject to limits specified by credit card companies. We regret that cash cannot be advanced from a credit card.
- Fuel Station
- Fuel is available at regular intervals between Kampala and Masindi. Beyond Masindi, refuelling options are limited to a (Shell) petrol station at Paraa Safari Lodge and another at Pakwach town, 25km further north.
In case of an emergency Paraa safari lodge may be contacted directly on the information provided below. For reservations please see back cover for details.
- +256 (0) 48 344266
- +256 (0) 41 4340054
- +256 (0) 75 2798882
- +256 (0) 41 4340056